With increasing digitization, not only companies and their business models are changing, but also entire value creation systems and industries. Classic value chains and customer relationships are becoming ecosystems. Within these ecosystems, digital platforms in particular play an important role and are also increasingly being used in the industrial sector for the aggregation and analysis of plant data. Digital platforms are also a topic of the future as they are an important basis for the networking of sectors in the fields of energy as well as industry. Sector coupling in turn contributes to more sustainable energy systems and the goals of energy system transformation.
Under the leadership of Fraunhofer IMW, the “EnDaSpace PLATON” project is focused on a platform-based ecosystem in the application context of “green hydrogen.” The aim is to create the basis for the use of digital platforms in the application sector of “renewable energies” therefore promoting digitally-based value creation. The project is a conceptual undertaking to explore the digital market and consists of a technological sub-project called “EnDaSpace,” and a socio-economic sub-project called, “PLATON.”
The Fraunhofer’s technical institutes are developing a representative in “EnDaSpace," specifically a digital platform for operating data from a wind turbine and a hydrogen electrolyzer. This creates the basis for an “Energy Data Space.” The scientists at Fraunhofer IMW make their contribution to research in "PLATON" and work on questions concerning the role and influence of the platform economy on future value creation.
Specifically, the research unit provides concepts, models and future scenarios for the research areas of "business models,” "ecosystems" and "governance" within platform economies in the hydrogen economy. To this end, the group provides the following research services:
- Analysis of business models of platforms in the energy sector and derivation of business model patterns
- Creation of a guideline for the development of relevant role profiles for selected sectors
- Creation of a platform catalog for different sectors and analysis of transferability to the energy sector
- Creation of future scenarios for platform economy in the energy sector
- Creation of guidelines on networked value creation and options for action for companies in the energy sector
- Consideration of the governance aspect of companies and platform-based ecosystems via a framework
The scientists at Fraunhofer IMW supplement the technological and value-adding focus in the research network with a transfer focus in order to develop roadmaps and use cases for the exploitation of the project results.
- Fraunhofer Institute for Energy Economics and Energy System Technology
- Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits
- Fraunhofer Institute of Optronics, System Technology and Image Exploitation
- Fraunhofer Institute for Software and Systems Engineering
- Fraunhofer Institute for Wind Energy Systems
- Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering
1.8.2020 - 31.12.2020