At Fraunhofer IMW, our work draws from twelve years of experience in socio-technical and socioeconomic research at our Leipzig offices. The Fraunhofer economists develop scientifically sound solutions to the challenges posed by globalization. This ensures the lasting success of our clients and partners, who have backgrounds in business and industry, research, and society at large. The everyday lives of people and their environments are at the heart of our international innovation projects, our networking activities and our analyses. Founded as the Center for Central and Eastern Europe MOEZ in 2006, the institute consolidated its expertise and range of services in internationalization and knowledge economy under a new name in 2015, the Fraunhofer Center for International Management and Knowledge Economy IMW.
Fraunhofer IMW works for the benefit of business and society. Our mission is to develop powerful and effective strategies, processes and tools to:
- Facilitate knowledge and technology transfer between organizations
- Convert knowledge into innovative products and services
- Develop the right environment for innovation and knowledge transfer
Additionally, the institute’s economists aim to find ecologically and socially balanced and economically viable solutions.
The institute and the scientists that work here have proven experience in the fields of internationalization, innovation and technology management, innovation funding, strategy development, the knowledge economy and research marketing. Currently, around seventy full-time employees work on industry-focused projects, with an emphasis on small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Additionally, our projects fall within the context of e.g.:
- The EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (Horizon 2020)
- The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- The German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conversation and Nuclear Safety
- The German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
- The Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (German Federal Foundation for the Environment)